Cut the area into two. Pupils see how to use algebraic expressions to find the area of a composite figure. The video breaks the figure into two rectangles and finds the missing lengths to find the area. After multiplying the dimensions, the presenter creates a simplified expression representing the area of the entire figure.
- Provide the class with several practice problems and have them discuss how they would decompose the figure
- Learners should be comfortable performing operations with algebraic expressions
- Assumes the class knows how to find the area of non-common figures
- Shows the way the decomposition does not affect the answer
- Highlights key calculations with colors