This Exploring the Impacts of Feeding the World lesson plan also includes:
Approximately 50 percent of people in the world who are chronically hungry work in agriculture. While it seems counter-intuitive, the farther you live from a farm, the more food options are available. Scholars explore concepts related to world hunger, agriculture, and wasted food in the third part of a 13-lesson series on Our Hungry Planet.
- Have pupils go through their pantries at home and list items that are past their sell by date—but still good to eat
- As homework after day one, have young scientists use a local map to identify any food deserts
- Requires misshapen produce, empty takeout containers, food with expiration dates, and packaged convenience food items
- Considers local, national, and global perspectives
- Links to additional resources for each of the related issues discussed