This Exploring Electron Properties interactive also includes:
Bring a historic chemistry experiment to life in your classroom! Introduce pupils to Thompson's ground-breaking discovery of the electron through a cathode ray simulation. The resource allows users to study the behavior of both electrons and ions as they pass between two charged plates.
- Integrate the resource into a historical chemistry lesson or a subatomic particles unit
- Provide some background information about JJ Thompson's experiment by having the class read this article
- Some basic knowledge of subatomic particles is helpful for using the resource
- The slow motion setting gives individuals an opportunity to more closely observe the path of the particle they are studying
- Instructions include a thoughtful guiding question to help you assess understanding