This Evolution of Fur Color in Mice – Mutation, Environment and Natural Selection lesson plan also includes:
Most species of animals include a variety of fur or hair color, but why? Scholars watch a video about a changing environment for mice. As the rocks around them change hues, different colors of mice begin to thrive. Discussion questions connect the concept to natural selection, mutation, and evolution.
- Using colored paper and colored paperclips, give pupils three seconds to estimate how many of each colored paperclip are on each color of paper; discuss the difficulty when the colors are similar and how that relates to the video
- If using with middle school ages, discuss each question together as a group rather than assigning it for individual completion
- Relies on prior knowledge of adaptations, characteristics, genes, inherited traits, populations, and natural selection
- Includes tools for using as homework, individual class work, and whole group work
- Editable worksheets make it easy to tweak the lesson to fit individual needs