This Evaluating Online Sources lesson plan also includes:
All sources are pretty much the same, right? If this is how your class views the sources they use for writing or research projects, present them with a media literacy lesson on smart source evaluation. Groups examine several articles, discuss guiding questions, and create their own source evaluation tools.
- The lesson makes a great addition to a journalism or social studies class
- Allow plenty of time for discussion, as the interesting topics covered in the lesson are bound to get the class talking
- Create a class set of the six articles used in the activity, so groups can cycle through them
- Each group needs a computer with Internet access
- Activity uses multiple sources and provides a simple approach to source evaluation
- Pupils work with current events in real time, making the lesson much more relevant