This Environmental Justice Matters: Mapping Cumulative Impacts (Part 2) lesson plan also includes:
A case study enables class members to confirm whether different geographic parts of Seattle, Washington have disproportionate environmental burdens and benefits. Groups use the EPA's Cumulative Health Impact Analysis formula and worksheet to collect data to analyze the claim.
- A link to related articles provides instructors with needed background information that should be accessed before beginning the lesson
- The case study focuses on Seattle, Washington but could easily be adapted to other cities
- The sixth of eight lessons in the Environmental Justice unit
- Requires copies of two maps and the analysis worksheet and table
- The five-page packet includes step-by-step directions for the activity
- Class members brainstorm actions that can be taken to make things in the city more equitable