This Energy Changes in Chemical Reactions lesson plan also includes:
The heat of solution measures how much thermal energy a dissolving substance consumes or gives off. The experiment demonstrates both endothermic and exothermic reactions. Scholars dissolve several substances, measure the temperature change, and graph their data.
- Break vocabulary into prefixes and root words to make connections: exothermic and exoskeleton, endothermic and thermometer, etc
- Relies on prior knowledge of temperature and energy
- Bucket of water must be at room temperature so plan ahead
- Uses simple materials
- Provides multiple levels of difficulty to keep everyone in a group engaged
- Includes a grading rubric