This Eclipse Over America — Relative Sizes and Distances of the Sun and Moon video also includes:
Here's a lesson that is sure to overshadow others! Introduce young astronomers to the unique size and distance relationship between the sun and moon with an activity from a larger series exploring space. A short video illustrates the solar system, then learners engage in thoughtful discussion about what they've experienced.
- Pause the video once the entire model solar system is in view and identify the heavenly bodies shown as a class
- After watching, ask learners if they think total solar eclipses happen on other planets
- Scholars need a basic understanding of scale and proportion to view the resource
- The resource is a great tool for a beginning examination of the proportions of the sun and moon
- Easy-to-find links to related resources make customizing the lesson simple