Dune remains one of the most popular science fiction tales ever written. Find out why with a short video that argues for including Frank Herbert's tale of sandworms and Fremen, Mentats and witches, villains and heroes in the Great American Read.
4 Views 3 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Show the related video "Heroes and Hope in Frank Herbert's Dune"
- Ask class members to investigate prototype environmental communities like Tom Duke's in New Mexico and Arcosanti in Arizona
- Have class members craft a persuasive essay that identifies a novel they feel should be included in the Great American Read series and presents their arguments for why their choice should be included
- Although the voting for the Great American Read has closed, the video serves well to garner interest in the novel
- Speakers discuss the novel as a tale of a hero's journey, a political saga, a religious allegory, and an environmental warning