This DNA Detectives activity & project also includes:
Police find a man murdered in a local hotel, DNA everywhere, and now they need scholars' help. Budding detectives step into a crime scene playing the roles of victim, suspects, and investigators. They apply knowledge of criminology and DNA matching to determine the guilty party and make an arrest.
- Use a doll as the body instead of a pupil, so everyone participates in the science aspect (rather than having one just lying on the floor)
- Extend the discussion to include the genetic profile databases such as 23&Me, Ancestry.com, and others
- Relies on prior knowledge of DNA, databases, and forensics
- Provides everything needed to complete the simulation without requiring lab materials
- Includes ethical discussion questions and possible answers