This Dinner Party: Using Pattern Trains to Demonstrate Linear Functions lesson plan also includes:
Nothing fancy here ... just your run-of-the-mill Algebra party! Learners explore the patterns of linear functions while designing seating arrangements for a dinner party. Comparing the number of tables to the perimeter of the combined tables in various arrangements gives individuals a conceptual connection to the characteristics of a linear function.
- Have individuals create their own table designs for use during the activity
- Use to introduce the concept of an arithmetic sequence
- Requires a specific set of materials to complete the activity
- Expects a solid understanding of perimeter
- Adaptable to different grade levels
- Materials open in Word, which provides an option for editing