This Desalination video also includes:
Desalination requires around two gallons of sea water to make one gallon of fresh water—that's quite a ratio! Viewers consider the pros and cons of desalination as one option to providing fresh water. They learn about two different desalination methods in the sixth lesson of a 10-part unit on Fresh Solutions.
- Research the ways boats that stay at sea for long periods of time get fresh water
- Ask class members to investigate the water conservation and recycling issues on the space station
- Relies on knowledge of the scarcity of fresh water
- Includes closed captioning for easier note taking
- Offers a forward-looking viewpoint to inspire scientists of the future