This Defining Literacy in a Digital World lesson plan also includes:
What skills are necessary to interact with different types of text? Twenty-first century learners live in a digital world and must develop a whole new set of skills to develop media literacy. Class members engage in a series of activities that get them thinking critically about their own literacy skills.
- Use to introduce a study of rhetorical devices and/or propaganda devices
- Requires considerable prep time to preview the websites,to gather materials and to make individual copies of the worksheet
- The lesson is divided into three sessions
- Prior knowledge of rhetorical devices and propaganda techniques would be helpful but not required
- The activities encourage learners to expand their definition of text beyond the printed page
- Although designed for high schoolers, the activities are most appropriate for younger learners and for those who have had limited exposure to media