This Dark Water: Lesson Plan 1 - Grades 3-4 lesson plan also includes:
As part of their study of the history of the Channel Islands, class members craft an informational article to post on a bulletin board that features the Chumash ancestral tradition of tomol paddling.
35 Views 23 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Have groups build a model of a tomol and test its seaworthiness in a tank or the school pool
- Class members should have previous knowledge of how to craft an informational article
- The second in a series of four resources based on West of the West documentary Dark Water that launches the unit
- The 13-page packet includes the article assignment, research questions, images, and an article from the National Park Service about the history of the Chumash tomol-crossing tradition
- A photo image of the rubric is included; however, it would need be to reformatted before readable by writers