This Constitutional Convention Simulation unit plan also includes:
Why did the Founders make it so challenging to amend the US Constitution? To gain an understanding of why the process is so difficult, class members engage in a Constitutional Convention simulation. Groups draft, propose, and debate amendments and then vote on each proposal.
- Assign each class member a state and ask them to research how their stated voted on the last proposed amendment
- Provides a link to “Vices, Rebellion & Constitution” from Liberty & Learning: The Essential James Madison
- A link to Madison's essay, "Vices of the Political System of the United States" is also provided
- Participants also need access to a copy of the US Constitution, especially articles, I, II, III, and VI
- The 12-page packet includes background information about Constitution Day, a detailed four-day plan, links to the required reading and related websites, discussion questions, and worksheets