This Conducting Research: Analyzing a Variety of Sources to Capture Information about My Insect lesson plan also includes:
From picture to words. Scholars analyze a picture of an ant and then list two facts they observed and any questions that may arise. Expert groups from the previous instructional activity then look at a diagram about either an ant or butterfly and add to their note catchers. The group watches Army Ants vs. Rainforest Land Crab: Monster Bug Wars and relates the video to the idiom an eye for an eye.
- Teach along with science standards relating to organism relationships (predator/prey)
- Installment seven of 15 in the series 5th Grade ELA Module 2a, Unit 3
- Order of lessons matters
- Find a close-up picture of an ant prior to the class
- Incorporates the study of diagrams and informational text features
- Includes all group materials