This Computing Probabilities for the Standard Normal Distribution: The FDA and Food Safety interactive also includes:
To recall or not to recall, that is the question. Using provided data, pupils calculate the percent of people that may fall ill on average. The scholars determine the standard deviation based upon the mean and the empirical rule, then use the information to decide whether a given percentage is great enough to warrant a recall.
- Conduct a mini-lesson on how to use the symmetry of the normal distribution to calculate probabilities
- Requires signing up for a free account to gain access to the interactive
- The class should understand the normal distribution and standard deviation
- The interactive provides a visual display of the percentages at given numbers of standard deviations
- Learners can view the correct answer