This Community Connections with Geography and the Newspaper unit plan also includes:
Understanding geography and government begins at the local level. Using maps and the parts of a newspaper, a unit plan introduces the concept of community. It starts with the creation of classroom and school maps, and then moves through a series of graphic organizers designed to introduce scholars to the world around them.
- Create models of the different mapping assignments to share with learners before completing each activity
- Pull up an online map of an area and look at it from different perspectives, such as satellite and street view
- Requires copies of local community and regional newspapers
- Provides printable handouts and worksheets
- Features an organized format for each lesson, which includes standards, required materials, and direct instruction
- Links to additional resources at end of file lead to many generic resources and some pages that no longer exist