This Civic Engagement and U.S. Immigration Policy lesson plan also includes:
To conclude their study of immigration and human rights, class members create a civic engagement project centered on an issue of immigration and designed to influence US immigration policy. They examine examples of attempts to influence federal policy, such as the English Language Unity Act of 2011, separation ordinances such as Oregon's Revised Statute chapter 181, section 850, and Arizona's SB 1070. Individuals then design their own civic engagement project.
- Before beginning the project, have class groups research the current debate about and proposed changes to immigration policy
- Encourage individuals to share their proposed policy with their elected representatives
- The information on US immigration policy would need to be updated to reflect changes since 2009
- The 12th on a series of 13 resources designed to be used in order
- The 16-page packet includes a detailed plan, background information on the DREAM Act, the English Language Unity Act of 2011, Oregon's Revised Statute chapter 181, section 850, and Arizona's SB 1070, discussion questions and worksheets
- No rubric for the civic engagement project is included