There's something powerful about a book that speaks your language and experiences or introduces you to the language and experiences of others. A National Book Award winner, Jason Reynolds' novel, Ghost, is such a book. Find out more about the author and his works in a short PBS video.
- Ask class members to craft a dialogue between two friends in their own voices, rewrite that same scene in a more formal language, and then compare the impact of the two versions
- One of three Ghost resources available from PBS
- Part of the Great American Read collection
- Requires registration for a free PBS account to access materials
- The video includes clips of Reynolds talking with middle schoolers about having goals and what it takes to achieve them