This Chinese New Year video also includes:
Dancing dragons, fireworks, red envelopes, and loud music are the familiar images of Chinese New Year celebrations. The holiday, also know as Lunar New Year and/or the Spring festival is also a religious holiday that combines aspects of Confucianism, Daoism, and Buddhism. Viewers have an opportunity to gain insight into the religious practices of one Chinese American family as they witness their celebrations.
- Have groups research and present their findings about one aspect of the New Years festival
- Include the resource in a unit on world religions, Asian history, or Chinese culture
- The short video focuses on the religious aspects of the Lunar New Year festivities
- The link to the Chinese calendar does not work, but other resources explaining the calendar are readily available on the Internet
- Introduces viewers to an aspect of the celebration not usually explored in most resources