This Chinese Exclusion Broadside Analysis interactive also includes:
Racism against Asian American goes deep in American history. Using a broadside in favor of the Chinese Exclusion Act, class members examine clues—with key portions of the document blacked out—to better understand the roots of anti-Asian racism during a period of mass immigration. Responses to prompts may be emailed to the teacher for evaluation.
- Use the resource to introduce the Chinese Exclusion Act or unit on immigration during the late 1800s
- Offer the activity as the foundation to a discussion of racism against Asian Americans
- Learners need computer access to examine the document and use the black out activity
- Activity is engaging and adaptable
- Primary source is thought provoking