This Chemistry Color Changers activity also includes:
Knowledge of acids and bases doesn't need to be a secret. Learners use red cabbage to create an indicator solution, then test how adding lemon juice (acid) and detergent (base) changes the color of the solution. They then use the concept to write secret messages.
- Have the class test the acidity of different materials
- Familiarity with acids and bases is advantageous
- Requires red cabbage, lemon juice, detergent, and other basic materials
- Pictures in the instructions help show the process
- Worksheet can be downloaded and printed if necessary
- Scholars may be confused by references to vinegar and ammonia, given that these substances are not used in the experiment