This Changing Biological Communities – Disturbance and Succession lesson plan also includes:
After cutting down a forest to make a farm, how long would it take the environment to turn an abandoned farm back into a forest? Scholars study this exact scenario while they interpret many charts and graphs of the changing ecosystems as an abandoned farm slowly adjusts back to a natural environment. They discuss and answer questions about the readings on the case study.
- Work on question eight as whole-class guided practice, as it might confuse and frustrate many pupils
- Invite someone to speak to the class about the invasive species in your area and what they can do to help
- Relies on prior knowledge of biological communities and interactions within these communities
- Includes the topic of non-native invasive species
- Offers a great perspective of time to destroy nature versus time to recover nature