This Carta del tratado entre España y los Estados Unidos lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Explore the history between Spain and the United States. Class members examine a copy of an original letter written in 1821 by Colonel Jose Coppinger in St. Augustine, Florida about the treaty that refers to the Florida territory that Spain ceded to the United States. Pupils read the letter, fill in the worksheet, work in pairs to make modern spelling and punctuation changes in the letter, and complete station tasks in small groups to lead up to class discussion. This is designed for an advanced class.
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes a scan of the original letter as well as an English translation
- Learners evaluate an original text, work collaboratively, and examine key points in Florida and United States history
- While the document provided is a copy of the original, this text is a bit difficult to read because of the age and quality of the scan
- There could be a more detailed description of how the stations and class discussion are to play out