The United States sends 133 billion pounds of edible food to landfills every year. A lesson from the ACS Reaction series discusses the chemical reactions that cause food to change over time. Some reactions make food taste different while others cause harmful chemicals.
- Write and balance some of the chemical reactions discussed in the lesson
- Record expiration dates of recently bought grocery items and compare canned, frozen, and fresh items
- Expects a familiarity with enzymes, bacteria, and fungi
- Includes diagrams and animations to add clarity to the presentation
- Emphasizes scientific vocabulary throughout the lesson