This Building with Biology activity also includes:
Seeing is believing! Bring DNA to life for young biologists using a simple extraction lab. Individuals extract the DNA from wheat germ, then place it in a microcentrifuge tube for observation. They thread yarn or other material through the tube's cap loop to create wearable science.
- Have pupils bring their own necklace material to allow them to personalize their work
- Use the lab as an extended observation lesson by having the class keep and observe their DNA samples over a few weeks
- Use ethyl alcohol, rather than isopropyl, for better DNA extraction
- Tailor the lesson to the level of knowledge of your class by adding to or subtracting from the guiding questions in the lab
- Activity is engaging for learners of all ages—everyone wants to see DNA!
- The printable lab is full of fun facts that help illustrate the structure and function of DNA