This Black Soldiers in the Civil War interactive also includes:
Get hands on virtually with recruitment posters for African American soldiers during the Civil War with an interactive online resource. By highlighting key phrases in the posters using an Internet tool, learners discover how African Americans were recruited to the Union army. Further discussion helps reveal the crucial role black soldiers played in the Union victory.
- Use the activity as an introduction to the role African American soldiers played in the Civil War
- Offer the resource to discuss military history
- Pupils need to access a device to fully take advantage of the interactive resource on the Internet
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Interactive tool keeps class members engaged
- Discussion questions prompt synthesis and analytical skills using primary sources