This Berries...With a Side of DNA? handout & reference also includes:
Sometimes science lab can be ... delicious! Middle school science scholars extract DNA from strawberries and other fruits in an engaging lab activity. The teacher's guide includes pacing, materials list, and worksheets with answer keys.
36 Views 35 Downloads CCSS: Designed NGSS: Designed
- Use the extension activity questions to ensure pupils understood the functions of the detergent, salt, and alcohol
- Try using several different fruits during the same lab period so learners can compare the amount of DNA extracted from each
- Be sure to buy enough fruit for each lab group, plus a few extras, as well as thicker Ziploc bags to prevent messes
- The lab builds scientific method skills by having groups plan out their own experiments
- Included presentation helps guide the class in performing the extraction and using the equipment properly