This Back To The Future lesson plan also includes:
Satellite photographs prove the dramatic changes to the environment over long periods of time. Young scientists observe photographs and make hypotheses. They then check real data of weather and climate patterns to better understand the changing environment. Finally, they present their findings to classmates.
- Set up a citizen scientist project encouraging pupils to take a photo from the same location at different times and add it to the database; this could become a multi-year project with many classes participating
- Relies on prior knowledge of the human impact on the environment and interpreting data
- Scholars can share computers in small groups if there are not enough available for everyone individually
- Includes a long list of online resources
- Offers a rubric for the presentation
- Uses real data that is continually updated