This Athens and Sparta-Imagine the Possibilities activity & project also includes:
Both Athens and Sparta made choices to survive in ancient Greece. Those choices were, in essence, economic ones about how to direct resources. A Venn diagram activity and reading ask class members to examine the connection between economics and history, making the dilemma and decision clearer to young scholars.
- Have scholars compare Athens and Sparta using the included Venn diagram
- Create discussion questions to extend the conversation through an economic lens
- Resource is the eighth of 23 Middle School World History lessons from the Council on Economic Education
- Activities do not presume background knowledge of ancient Greece
- Lesson is adaptable to a variety of units of study
- The background PowerPoint on economics is not clearly linked to the historical information in the reading and activity