The California missions transformed California. A short video discusses the missions, their purpose, how they eventually lost their power, and what happened to Native Americans when the missions closed.
3 Views 4 Downloads
- Have learners create journal entries from the perspective of a Native American at a mission
- Pair with a lesson on Spanish imperialism or during Hispanic Heritage Month
- Requires a free PBS account
- Uses primary sources such as interviews to add interest and authenticity
- The video does a good job of explaining the difficulties Native Americans faced