This Analyzing a Petition about Slavery interactive also includes:
Practice analyzing primary sources in a thought-provoking lesson on the impact of slavery. Young historians read a petition regarding the Fugitive Slave Law and answer a series of questions to understand the importance of the document. Academics also review vocabulary words and participate in a group discussion to ensure understanding of key concepts.
- Have pupils write newspaper articles describing the petition
- Guide a group discussion on the differing views toward slavery during the time period
- Some learners may need additional help analyzing historical documents
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Lesson is adaptable for middle and high school social studies
- The resource provides additional background knowledge to enhance learning