This Analyzing a Child Labor Photograph interactive also includes:
Sometimes images tell shocking stories. Individuals examine a Lewis Hines picture of children packing beans and consider the impact working in a factory had on their young lives. A series of prompts emailed to the teacher helps them analyze the provocative image.
- Use as an introduction to the Progressive Era
- Simulate a debate on labor laws using the image
- Class members need access to the image, either through a hard copy or computer
- Image is engaging and thought provoking
- Thoughtful prompts build primary source skills