How important is connectedness in a community? Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert Putnam details the early 21st century theory of the decreased value of social capital. A short analysis video takes sociology students through Putnam's argument, which describes the factors that he believes have influenced the loss of social niceties and familial connections.
- Have learners share the experiences of their childhoods to compare to Putnam's text
- Use the text as a class reading assignment, and compare Putnam’s argument to novels that feature neighborhood connections, such as The Sandlot and To Kill a Mockingbird
- A full version of the analysis is available at the publisher's website with a paid subscription or free trial
- This video is hosted on YouTube
- Provides thought-provoking discussion topics
- Animation is engaging and explanatory