If a goal is worthy are any means justified to achieve this goal? Yes, according to John Stuart Mill. Introduce viewers to Mill's concept of Utilitarianism with a short video that used an animated tale of a battle for a city to demonstrate the principle of the greatest good for the greatest number.
- Have viewers compare Mill's concept of Utilitarianism to Jeremy Bentham's and/or to the ideas Machiavelli puts forth in The Prince
- Use to prompt an argumentative essay in which individuals support or challenge Mill's concept
- The complete text of the analysis is available from the publisher with a paid subscription or a trial membership
- Show the video in full screen mode to avoid the comment section
- The video underscores Mill's idea that sacrifice may be necessary to achieve a worthy goal