This American Utopia: The Architecture and History of the Suburb lesson plan also includes:
Let's build a dream house! By examining promotional materials and photographs of early suburban developments, scholars consider what led to the development of this particular American dream. The resource includes case studies of three suburban communities and prompts for discussion and essay writing. Additional materials include a rubric for peer review of a written essay based on the primary sources.
- Use documents to stimulate discussion on the rise of the suburbs
- Offer documents-based questions in the activity
- Learners need to access the documents, either with copies of them or on the Internet
- Resource includes a mix of written materials and images
- Documents are adaptable to a variety of instructional practices