This American Exclusivity: Chinese Inclusion Act lesson plan also includes:
The Chinese Exclusion Act—the first race-based immigration restriction—echoes in today's debates on the topic. Using graphic organizers and structured discussions, historians consider the reasons behind the act. Then, they compare the political impulses of the 1800s to similar dynamics today.
- Use graphic organizers to assist learners as they analyze primary sources and news articles on immigration
- Consider current questions on immigration using included resources or more up-to-date news articles
- Extension activities focus on the Obama administration
- Graphic organizers and note taking activities help class members analyze documents
- Lesson plan makes the Chinese Exclusion Act relevant to the current debates on immigration
- Does not include the primary sources mentioned in resource