This Actions that Changed the Law lesson plan also includes:
- Actions that Changed the Law (.html)
- A Call to Act: Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.
- Primary Source
- Join to access all included materials
The Fair Play Act of 2009 came about due to the actions of one woman. Young historians research Lilly Ledbetter and what she went through to get pay equal to that paid to men for the same work at Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. The instructional activity demonstrates the power citizens have to develop and change laws.
- Pause the 23-minute video frequently to permit viewers to take notes and ask questions
- Pupils should have previous knowledge of Supreme Court cases, as well as of the judicial and legislative processes
- Class members need access to devices with internet
- Requires copies
- Provides different discussion questions for grades 5-8 and 9-12
- Includes a vocabulary list of key terms
- The lesson is adaptable to different ability levels