This Act Up! Drama for Justice activity also includes:
A lesson turns young historians into playwrights to understand and speak out against social injustice. Pupils work individually or in groups to write and perform monologues that deliver personal messages on social justice. Writers then reflect on the experience in journal entries and group discussion.
- Arrange for the drama teacher to speak to the class about acting and writing screenplays
- Pair English learners with native English speakers to offer additional support
- Presumes protocol is in place for a safe, respectful discussion of sensitive issues
- Lesson includes adaptions for English learners
- The project-based resource allows scholars to be creative and express their ideas with art