This 14th Amendment Discussion Starter: The Black Codes instructional video also includes:
The Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws were rules that served the same purpose: to restrict the rights of African Americans. Young historians watch performers read Black Code laws from different states to explain how African Americans were deprived of their rights despite the Fourteenth Amendment. The resource includes discussion questions on the impact of the Black Codes to strengthen scholars' understanding of the video.
- Compare the Black Codes to Jim Crow Laws
- Discuss the impact of the Black Codes on the civil rights of African Americans
- The resource is part of the Congressional Hall Pass Series
- Contains sensitive subject matter
- Video combines primary sources and theatrical performances in an engaging manner
- Highlights the struggle of African Americans to obtain equality