This 14th Amendment Discussion Starter: The 39th Congress Debates video also includes:
The ratification process for the Fourteenth Amendment that granted citizenship to everyone male born in the United States was contentious. The video reenacts a portion of the 39th Congressional debates focusing on the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment to extend citizenship and equal protection to former slaves. Performers use the words of the Congressmen to speak for and against the Amendment. Academics also participate in a group discussion following the video that focuses on the role of the federal government in determining civil rights.
- Discuss the arguments for and against the Fourteenth Amendment
- Have pupils write newspaper articles explaining the 39th Congressional debate
- The resource is part of the larger Congressional Hall Pass Series
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes additional background information on the 39th Congressional debates
- Website provides a printable copy of the discussion questions