This Youth Obesity: Schools Fight Back lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Explore nutrition and healthy eating habits with a study on youth obesity. Learners watch a PBS documentary on the obesity epidemic which discusses government programs aimed at healthier choices, as well as more localized efforts. Kids brainstorm a list of the top five unhealthy snacks they love, then consider why they are so tempting. Finally, they come up with healthy alternatives to these snacks and host a tasting.
- Create an interdisciplinary lesson between science and language arts
- Encourage learners to keep a food diary to accurately track their eating habits
- Be aware that discussions about obesity may be sensitive for some learners in your classroom
- Incorporates math by prompting class members to graph the results