This Writing Letters of Gratitude lesson plan also includes:
A lesson begins with a discussion on gratitude—what does it mean, and for who are learners thankful? Scholars share their thoughts and feelings then choose a community worker to which they wish to share their gratitude. Writers compose a letter using an appropriate format then mail it to the recipient.
- Create a gratitude-themed focus wall that showcases the three reproductions provided with the lesson
- Revisit the lesson throughout the school year to boost writing skills and spread kindness around your community
- Invite one or a few community workers to the classroom to speak about their profession
- It is helpful if participants are familiar with letter writing, but not mandatory as the lesson offers plenty of modeling
- Several links guide you to related content
- The lesson addresses the social and emotional learning concept—social awareness