If you thought the Wright brothers invented flight, you'd be wrong. Scholars learn how Otto Lilienthal used gliders to simulate flight before the Wright brothers. The Real Engineering video then explains how the Wright brothers perfected flight by achieving full control of movement, including roll, pitch, and yaw.
- Have pupils research the history of flight as a project
- Team up with a history teacher for the lesson
- A general knowledge of flight, such as the concepts of lift and drag, is beneficial
- Animations are simple but promote comprehension
- Includes pictures of historical aircraft, helping to bring the resource to life