This Why Does Water Dissolve Sugar? lesson plan also includes:
Did you know that if you wait long enough, the M on the outside of an M and M will float to the surface when submerged in water? Learners observe the sugar coating of an M and M while it is dissolving in water. They explain how this occurs at the molecular level and then set up an experiment to determine if the type of liquid used affects how much of the sugar is dissolved. Part four in a series of nine.
- Give the extension as homework
- Activity uses a 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol; follow safety guidelines for your classroom/school when handling this chemical
- Needs include M&M's; teachers may want to have some extra for classes to eat when all labs are complete
- Provides questions for teachers to ask throughout the lab
- Includes teacher references, worksheets, and answer keys
- Activity follows the 5E model