This Why Do We (Still) Celebrate Columbus Day? lesson plan also includes:
What are we really celebrating on Columbus Day? The resource explores the narrative behind Columbus Day and ways for people to change the perception. Scholars also review vocabulary terms associated with the topic and how attitudes have changed over time. To gain a better understanding, academics read newspaper articles, watch a video, participate in group discussion, and fill out a graphic organizer to understand how to change Columbus Day to celebrate indigenous people.
- Discuss how communities celebrate local Indigenous tribes
- Celebrate Indigenous People's Day, the second Monday in October, as a class
- The topic of inequality for indigenous people may be a sensitive subject for some individuals
- The resource provides extension activities to reinforce the themes of the lesson
- Material prompts a discussion on equality