Allergies are really just mistakes our immune system makes—and we pay the itchy, watery price! An ACS Reactions lesson outlines the immune response to pollens and other allergens. When the body mistakes these allergens for germs, it makes antibodies that trigger allergy symptoms.
- Invite a doctor to speak to your class and answer questions about the immune system reaction to allergens
- Have pupils sketch the immune system response to an allergen as an exit card
- If making the video available for independent viewing, consider monitoring the YouTube comments
- Incorporates animations to describe immune system reactions
- Includes links to additional videos on the same topic