Above all else, a bird's color is what sets it apart from other birds. Learn what creates their unique plumage in an installment of a video series. The video presents the physical and chemical reasons for the variation in colors as well as how light creates different shades.
- Prior to watching the video, have the class create hypotheses predicting the reason for different feather colors
- Have learners make a list of new vocabulary while watching the lesson; discuss these new words as a class
- Prior knowledge of melanin and pigments is helpful
- Uses both images and text to describe the scientific concepts
- Examines a wide range of species and colors of plumage