From stately oaks to towering pines, trees are the largest members of the plant kingdom that most people see. But how do trees get so big? Find out where the mass of a tree comes from with a short video. The narrator presents the topic to people on the street, then leads them toward the correct answer: carbon dioxide.
- Use the video to present a different take on photosynthesis and respiration
- For a fun twist, pause the video after the class gives each answer and let them decide if it's correct
- The video is simple and appropriate for pupils with a limited to advanced understanding of photosynthesis and respiration
- The resource poses an interesting question, then shows how to work toward the solution
- Narrator includes historical references of scientific experiments conducted to determine where the mass comes from, which helps pupils see a progression of thought as scientists attained a better understanding of photosynthesis